View Single Post
      01-18-2023, 06:42 AM   #35
ixDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3, BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
What doesn’t make sense is when Porsche’s EPA is 190 but can go 240 and Tesla’s is 330 and goes 260. The inconsistency makes you have to go do a ton of research (I.e., wait for a real world test review) to understand what the true range is. If I drive very slowly in 70F with no wind and no rain and no heater on, I can get 250 wh/m which is full range. But who wants to - or who can - drive in those conditions? So on my old tesla model 3 perf I averaged 315 wh/mi over 15k miles, which is approx. 79% of the quoted full range number. And you have to start at 80% battery for optimal battery management, so I’d effectively have 59% usable range on the daily … and you don’t really want the battery to go below 20%, so now you have 39%. It’s just ridiculous. Oh, and when/if you do start at 100% charge the first 10% is gone very quickly because of no regen brake. Bottom line is it’s a great short distance efficient machine, and there are cost savings relative to most ICE options, but the range inconsistencies or variabilities and other requirements are something the average consumer probably isn’t aware of…
Precisely.
I did a whole stupid excel sheet taking all the known range test sites/youtubers and comparing/averaging across per model.
This was also complicated by different model year / specs being tested in some cases since a lot of these cars have 2-4 flavors (or like 6 for Porsche), plus slight changes to pack sizes and heat pumps year to year.

Another big variable is performance in cold vs ideal warmth.
Cars with heat pumps generally do better, but not all heat pumps are created equal so you end up also wanting to read reviews for that.

InsideEVs is one of several sources I used - https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791...-test-results/

Note Tesla across the board misses their range by 10-15%, while Lucid, Mercedes, BMW and in *some* cases Ford beat theirs by 5-10%, or in Porsche case like 36%.

If that's not confusing enough, 2 similar sounding specs from Ford have different performance vs rating:

2021 Ford
Mustang Mach-E California Route 1 Edition -6%
2021 Ford
Mustang Mach-E AWD Extended Range + 5%
!? So instead of the Cali Rt1 doing 35mi more range, it only does.. 2! more miles, in this test.

Another game some play is that EPA ratings are done at default settings. So for example Tesla defaulted regen to max power over the years, and then slowly took away regen settings in most of their cars so it is stuck at max. So they test well. Then others give you lots of regen & acceleration settings and default to medium-ish, so they test OK, but can be configured by user for better highway cruising.
Appreciate 2