View Single Post
      08-10-2022, 08:22 AM   #21
ixDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3, BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
How does active driving compare to FSD on the Model 3?
Not OP but traded in my 2018 Model 3 after 4 years for an iX50 myself last week.

So personally I think Musk sent the devs down a dead end trying to solve universal FSD when they had a very strong highway Autopilot, and have now blown their lead. Highway Autopilot stopped substantially improving around 2020 in my personal experience.

I found active driving assist pro to be fantastic on the highway
* No phantom braking
* Less "hesitation"
* More consistent following distances
* Smoother acceleration & braking
* MUCH better creeping & coasting in slow stop&go traffic
* Lane changes worked well
* Better handling of lane width changes for things like HOV merge lanes
* More pleasant "alert driver" noise when it wants your attention than Autopilot
* I like that you can also take over steering and then hand it back to automatic control easily
* Similar for accelerating through the speed management to pass an adjacent car, etc.. (Tesla would hard brake against you often as you let go of accelerator)
* Hands free under 45mph is a nice novelty but not key

All in all, wife wasn't really sure when the iX was driving itself or when I was driving. In the Tesla 90% of the time she was very aware the car was driving us, and found it unpleasant.

Again though, this is comparison of divided highway driving performance, which is really the only place where both products are supposed to be used if you read the fine print.
Appreciate 4
Eugr72.50
admranger2998.00