Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
Viper was what I think most of us are lamenting the OP parting with. Hell, buy the i3 and "save" the world.

I have a feeling you're in the progress is good camp. I'm more pragmatic and realize that there is no "free" anything. Basic physics of our existence states that you are stealing from Paul to pay Peter in all aspects of life. There are always consequences for one technology over another. The fallout may vary but the magnitude will be the same.
I can appreciate the emotion around the OP losing his Viper...only he can determine if the trade offs are worth it - and it seems like he is very happy. My original reply was simply aimed at your 'consumption shift' comment...which I didn't agree with.

The universe doesn't have a requirement on the amount of energy it takes to create and propel a vehicle, and things do get better and more efficient over time. For example.... I averaged ~13mpg in my last M3, and now I get ~20mpg in my new one (which overall is a much faster vehicle). I don't buy cars for efficiency, but that doesn't prevent me from appreciating the progress that BMW and others have made.
Yea my house and car are powered using total solar power, nice and clean. So 20 or 30 years of driving my car using solar power and lighting my house that way you'd have a tough time telling me that driving the viper is cleaner.

Plus after 20 years my batteries will have their second life in a wind turbine or backup house generator. So the people who tell me that my battery powered car is worse off are full of it.

Maybe battery powered cars and Prius cars from yesterday, sure may be bigger polluters but this ones much better thought out.
Appreciate 0