08-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #61
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
A very good review. The i8 is cutting edge. These technologies will trickle through to many cars. Eventually most cars in the US will have some energy storage and electric assist to meet fuel efficiency rules.

This car would be more interesting to me with a smaller lighter battery and performance oriented tires.
Thanks

I had the same thoughts The tyres can be changed easily enough, if even the new stickier Bridgestones that BMW have specified are not to our liking.

About a smaller battery, I too considered the benefits of saving 100kg. That would be great for performance, but then I wondered whether a halved electric range was worth it. (As an aside, it's also possible that a too low range would remove the car's eligibility for tax breaks in various countries.)

And perhaps it would impact its ability to provide enough current in a sustained manner when driven hard in Sports mode. I decided the engineers obviously would have considered this, and came to the decision to install the weight/size of batteries that they did. They got so much spot on in the i8 that I accepted they must have got battery weight/size correct too So I did not dwell on it further
Appreciate 0