03-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #127
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I don't have any replica watches that I've submerged. I do have one non-replica watch that I paid ~$1K for that didn't survive contact with water.

I also have no evidence suggesting that water resistance (WR) at surface levels is beyond the capability of any modern watch. Even the cheapest authentic watch one can buy -- perhaps a Timex or something of that sort -- can handle being placed in a full bathtub. I don't see why one couldn't expect as much from a comparably priced fake.

Are there some fakes that won't survive that? Probably, but then the WR seals on non-fakes can fail too. I get the point you are seeming to make, and I can see it as plausible, but without something empirical to suggest that's poor WR is endemic among fake watches, I have a hard time actually accepting the premise.

All the best.

Three... three of the replica watches i've owned, over many years, have taken on water after a shower or a trip to the pool... dont ask me details, but alcohol and other distractions have made me forget that I had them on at the time. It's quite a shit feeling to see that condensation on the inside of a Submariner or Breitling replica and realize there's no warranty for fake shit built in china. The only other time that happened was with an Aldo watch I bought years ago before getting into watches.

So that's $300 x 3 ... close to a thousand dollar mistake because I thought it was no big deal to get a fake watch. The one thing replicas did for me was get me into the genuine. I can tell you that none of my genuine Rolex or Panerai have had this issue. It's not the price per se, as I've made plenty of thousand dollar mistakes, but it's the feeling of being fuxxed as the lovely 99% replica fails miserably at doing a very basic watch function.

I dont own any replicas at the moment, but I dont consider it terrible to own one or two, as long as if the question arises, one is honest and admits 'yea its a fake' Truth is not subjective. To pass oneself off as something one has never achieved nor wants to work toward achieving, whether by pretense of action or by ownership of counterfeit luxury goods, is the hallmark of con artists and liars. Youre never sure where the bull$hit ends and the real begins.
Appreciate 0