MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffblue View Post
Do a powerlifting program and eat 500 calories more than your total daily energy expenditure which is your base metabolic rate+energy burned during activities (work, exercise, anything ). But honestly at your size you should probably go for a 1k calorie surplus a day and you eould be fine.

Do a powerlifting upper/lower or push pull split or a full body routine. Focus on compound lifts (bench squat Deadlift overhead press) as the core of your routine and throw in some accessory work after. Don't do bulllshit bro splits with arm day chest day shoulder day etc. Focus on building strength and you will put on muscle. Only not natural (steroids/hgh etc) lifters will put on size without necessarily getting stronger. If you're natural and you're getting stronger you're putting on muscle.
This ^

Squat, I mean real squats with a barbell on your back and going to parallel. Doesn't matter if you have to start at 95lbs, do them right.

Deadlift, builds the most mass of ANY exercise. Avoid bouncing the weight off the ground.

Press, bench, overhead, incline,

Eat! You may need to eat 3500-4000 calories per day to gain weight.

I've retired from competition this year, but I used to be a nationally competitive strongman and placed 3rd in Arizona's Strongest Man twice. I'm 6'4" and at my highest weight in 2011 I was 346 lbs. I used to have to eat 6000-8000 calories per day just to maintain. Quite a chore to say the least. One of the main reasons I retired (besides getting old) was not having the time or willpower to keep eating so much. Now I'm a more comfortable 295lbs and eat 3500-4500 to maintain.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0