techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaalrasha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
If you don't like EV's and that is fine but please stop spreading this part that they are worse for the environment because this has been proven time and over again not to be true.

So please stop spreading this other then that its understandable if you don't like EVs its fine :-)
Future is going to be with EVs, maybe not BEVs, which in my opinion are a temporary stop gap.

BEVs are marketed to lower the Co2, but we don't hear about recycling the batteries or mining rare earth elements and conditions of the mining... and guess who owns most of the mines and is lobying like crazy ? For sure they do better in Co2, now overall for the environment, ain't so clear on the long run, Co2 doesn't weight as much in the greenhouse gas effect as we initially thought.

In a few years there could be equivalent drama and shift around on those, like say for diesels and such when Co2 advantages was offset by small particles emissions.

That whole pollution story is not as clear cut as is seems, focus won't and should not remain only on Co2 (methane by a huge magnitudes is worse), it's not the main problem we now realize quite late in the game... but hey if that can make up some new taxes it's good to milk people first before we change to something else.
Battery recycling is big.

Depleted batteries are being used in backup applications.

The lithium is allot easier to recover from a battery than to mine.

While a lot of EVs use rare earth minerals for magnets in the motors; BMW is using electrically excited motors with no rare earth minerals. The rare earth minerals are not necessary.

I won't argue about CO2 is not the only thing to worry about because it isn't.