Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Battery recycling is big.

Depleted batteries are being used in backup applications.

The lithium is allot easier to recover from a battery than to mine.

While a lot of EVs use rare earth minerals for magnets in the motors; BMW is using electrically excited motors with no rare earth minerals. The rare earth minerals are not necessary.

I won't argue about CO2 is not the only thing to worry about because it isn't.
Agreed.

I also think people shouldn't be comparing range, but rather mile/kwh, just like on ICE cars with mpg. It's like saying you can go 500 miles on a tank, but averaging 20mpg because you have a 25 gal tank.

Could the i4 have a larger range? Yes, but at what price given an average level II can charge at a maximum of approximately 11kw. I can't even imagine the charge time on packs such as 126kw to 180kw on some cars. I only get about 265miles of usable gas tank range on my current car (only use about 80% of the tank), 75% city driving. The range of the i4 is entirely appropriate for my needs, especially at $5.44 a charge from 10 to 100% (even cheaper if 10-80%) vs $51 for my current ICE.

The cost savings of an EV comes from charging at home, not at public DC Fast chargers. And once Solid State batteries are a thing, I feel people will be in for a big surprise when it comes to home charging them
I have a L2 charger at home for my Bolt. For me 250 mile range is the point at which it works for me. I've seen that with the Bolt.

I'm going to install a second L2 charger because by 2023 we will have the Bolt, M50 and a Fisker.

We have solar, but not enough to charge 3 cars.