10-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #91
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I agree Max made too many mistakes in the beginning and he could have more wins than he does. Also say he started F1 when he was 17 and Hamilton when he was 22? At the next race, like virtually every race in the last few years it is MB's race to lose unless something out of the ordinary happens or they screw up. If Hamilton and Max were to flip cars there is a chance Hamilton would have done better than Max did but Max suddenly would have a lot more wins than he does now. So many races the "race" is really over about 20 seconds after the lights go out. Then I do a rain dance or hope MB's screws up to make it an actual race.

I don't think anyone can prove that at this point in time that Hamilton is better than Max and one of the big problems with the competition is the car plays a major part of it.
Did you watch the 2007 season...Hamilton's rookie year?
The best rookie year for any F1 driver ever and by a mile.
He started the season having had a few hours pre season practice at Barcelona-Catalunya but zero F1 race time at any of the other tracks.
He hadn't even raced at several of the F1 tracks in previous series.

So with almost no time in an F1 car or set up experience he was up against 2 time world champ Alonso - regarded by his peers as one of the best drivers of his era.
The rest is history..bar a gearbox glitch he would have won the DWC in his rookie year.

I don't really like Hamilton but he has a natural talent that far surpasses Verstappen.
If Verstappen crashed less then sure you could put it all down to the car.
Verstappen is fast but lacks Hamiltons natural feel for driving at the limit.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
MKSixer34171.50