04-19-2017, 04:56 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Don't care ! As I said don't care if you designed rockets you weren't on the project of either GM, Tesla or BMW, so you know nothing of why they made the decisions they made, just stating simple facts. But GM still sucks (My opinion) and the bolt looks stupid (My Opinion)....

More of a mopar fan anyway....
This is getting fun!

So the topic of this thread is the i3 wins the inaugural 2017 World Urban Car award. From the WCA website: "The World Car Awards (WCA) is a program initiated by, organized by, and conducted by automotive journalists from all over the world. From the outset in 2004, those of us involved in making it a reality have done so in the context of one over-riding priority. We are dedicated to ensuring that it is carried out with the utmost objectivity, credibility, and integrity.

The WCA are administered by a not-for-profit association, under the guidance of a Steering Committee of distinguished automotive journalists from Asia, Europe, and North America. In that way, it draws on the experience and expertise already developed by various other award programs throughout the world.

It is intended to complement, not compete with existing national and regional COTY awards, which are inherently different in scope. By its nature, WCOTY includes some vehicles that may be unavailable in individual regions, and excludes others whose availability may be limited to those regions.

So the award is handed out by automotive journalists, whose job it is to critique automobiles, not design and build them. I'd bet I know more about car design and manufacturing then most of the automotive journalists on that stupid WCA voting board. All of them "weren't on the project of either GM, Tesla or BMW" so they "know nothing of why they (GM, Tesla, BMW) made the decisions they made". So it took the i3 three model years to finally win an award.

But just to be fair, the Bolt, it's first time out, won the prestigious Motor Trend "Car of the Year Award" for 2017. The past winners of MT's Car of the Year? Chevrolet Volt (2011), Passat (2012), Tesla S (2013), Cadillac CTS (2014), VW Golf (2015), and Chevrolet Camaro (2016). The i3 came out as a MY 2014 vehicle and wasn't even a contender in 2014 (even though the Tesla and Chinese CODA EVs were included the year before). It was in the 2015 MT COTY Award group of cars where it didn't even compete as a contender (i.e. didn't even make the cut - LOL), let alone a finalist. MT says of the i3 "In a 2014 First Drive, we said that the i3 doesn’t have the same fun-to-drive DNA as other vehicles produced by BMW. The car’s handling was sloppy and the front tires didn’t have much grip especially when accelerating. Where the i3 really shines is in its interior. Breaking away from the usual dark and austere interiors of most BMWs, the i3 features a curvy dashboard design, unique eco-friendly seat materials, a free standing display, and a two-spoke steering wheel. MT says of the Bolt, "Perhaps the most impressive thing about the Bolt EV is there are no caveats, no “for an electric car” qualifiers needed in any discussion. It is, simply, a world-class small car, and that’s before you factor in the benefits inherent in the smoothness, silence, and instant-on torque provided by the electric motor. The ride is firm and sporty, but transmitted road noise is very well damped. The steering has slightly artificial weighting, but brake feel is natural, and once you learn to use the higher regenerative braking modes, you can pretty much drive all the time without touching the friction brakes at all.

But we can magazine bench race all day if you want. However, Motor Trend has come to the same conclusion I have, that the Bolt is the better car between the i3 and the Bolt because its larger inside and offers twice the range as the i3.

Data my friend... data.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-19-2017 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0