View Single Post
      07-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #16
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Thank you, didn't mean to sidetrack your thread. Back to superchargers on boats, I'm no expert, my experience is that you often see them, almost always on big blocks in bigger boats, 40'+, Scarab, Fountain, etc. Theres a guy in our marina who has a 42' offshore boat with twin supercharged big blocks, what an evil sound that thing makes when you hear the blowers start to whine. I think Scarab experimented with turbo charged Porsche engines about 10 years ago, that's the only time I've heard of turbos on a boat.

I suspect the expense associated with supercharging your Donzi's big blocks won't be good value for money. You'd also have to look at different gearing in the out drive to take advantage any benefit you'd get from the supercharging. Boat speed is all about pitch, diameter and propeller rpm. More horsepower needs to be used to spin the prop faster, or turn a higher pitched prop. Lots of things to consider.

I'll also comment that the supercharged boats seem to spend a lot of time on a trailer with a mechanic working on them.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0