View Single Post
      12-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #16
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
As a previous E53 4.8is owner, who's never driven any other X series (and am thus remarkably unqualified to offer an opinion) I have the following advice: Get the X5.

The equipment level in an X5 is second to none. The comfort is second to none. The performance I experienced my 10-year-old X5 was unbelievable.

The strongest memory I have of my X5 was how it shrank around you when you were on the road. Getting into it felt like sinking into La-z-boy recliner inside an armored truck; but once you were behind the wheel it accelerated, stopped and steered like a Subaru WRX.

A X5 isn't a big car: Not by today's standards. I can't think of any situation where I'd prefer to be driving in a X3 or X1 rather than an X5.

You get a small X-series because you couldn't afford a X5, or your other half made you compromise.

There's a good argument to be made asserting the supremacy of a M3 or a 1M over a M5 because of its small size and handling - but I don't believe that argument holds in the world of SUV's.

If you buy the X3 I recon' there'll be regular occasions when you'll think to yourself "damnit, I wish I got the X5." ... I really doubt the reverse will be true.
The reverse is true in my case. I swapped my X5 M50d for an X3 M40i, and don’t regret my decision at all, and that was nearly 6 months ago. The M40i is much quicker, more fun to drive, handles much better, and has nearly the same amount of luggage space.

Yes, the interior on the X5 was more luxurious, but the tech in the X3 is much better. And besides, I’m spending all my time having fun wringing this things neck having fun, to be looking around the interior of the car!
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50