05-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #21
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Interestingly, you don't need an EV to get the low-speed benefits of an EV. A PHEV like the X5 45e can give you instant torque from 0 and assist the ICE in ways that make it just about faultless without losing the character of an ICE at WOT.

The thing that is present in the best of supercars now, and soon coming to the next generation of ICE based ///M cars is electric assist to tide over all the low-rev and gear-shift-time shortcomings of ICE cars, while retaining what makes these cars so desirable.

In non-///M cars, this means that you can have the benefits of electric in even more use cases without worrying about things like range and stopping for charging. This is already true for a large number of people with the 45e given its range covers most daily driving with a nightly charge.

And to share my frame of reference fully, my other car is a 2022 M4 Comp M xDrive. I'd only take a full electric car as a third car in my garage, because it side-by-side long-distance drives with a Tesla Model Y (vs. X5 45e), I was able to gap it to the destination by an hour and a half in a 6 hour drive because I'm able to hold much higher speeds without losing range, and I didn't have to stop to charge for half an hour in the middle of the night (in fact, I didn't even have to get gas).
I haven’t driven any of the BMW hybrids but I have in other brands and I have found that occasionally though not always the combination between gearbox/engine and electric motor can be a little hesitant which is something you never experience with a full electric.
Appreciate 0