Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Averaging 800 miles per day, that's quite a trip. Any issues, either with the car or with your comfort covering that much distance each day?
Day 1, 800 miles, San Jose, California to Salt Lake City, Utah
Day 2, 850 miles, SLC to Lincoln, Nebraska (minimum temp 8°F, fog and flurries of snow)
Day 3, 950 miles, Lincoln to Erie, Pennsylvania
Day 4, 650 miles, Erie to Portland, Maine. (snow and rain in upstate NY)

Issue #1: the 11 gallon tank is too small! :-) Not really, as it encouraged me to get out of the car and stretch my legs.

Issue #2: Phantom Traffic. Weirdly, the NAV system kept reporting traffic (red lines, and anything from +2 to +30 minutes of extra time to destination) about 20-30 miles ahead of me... which would ALWAYS disappear before I got there. And then reappear further ahead. This happened about 10 times a day. Very odd.

Basically, the car is very comfortable for a long haul. Fully loaded with cargo (trunk full, back seats full, passenger footwell full). My traveling style for this trip was "Horse to the barn," not sightseeing. Get up at 5:30, coffee and tiny breakfast at 6, on the road by 6:20. Drive until 10am, stop for a big breakfast. Drive until 4 or 5, stop for dinner. Drive until 9pm. Stops for gas as needed. Find a hotel, catch up on social media, and go to sleep. Repeat.

Snow tires make a little more noise than summer tires, but not bad at all. It handled snow and low temps easily. I drove at (or very slightly above! :-) the speed limits. No problem. OK, I was pulled over once, given a warning for speed, and a fix-it ticket for running with my old Hawaii plates (car is currently registered in California).

Audible Books are my friend for long road trips. I was listening to R.L. King's "Alistair Stone Chronicles" series. 3 books later... and I'm home.
This is very assuring. I plan to drive mine down to my home in Guadalajara and back (San Diego) which is 1400 miles to there- 2800 total.