View Single Post
      02-28-2017, 05:40 AM   #108
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Calf T 911, GTS, RR S Class

Okay I will try and answer all your questions. The key is big and the spare key that is attached to normal key is given to you in a plastic bag (they suggest you keep it in your wallet), but since there is no way to attach a key ring (unless you buy a key case that has one) you will need a key ring for the rest of your keys. I have owned a few Maserati's and this key is bigger. If you want the key you are going to have to go to the dealer with proof of ownership and your license, they take your VIN and place the order with BMW (my work order has a lot of part numbers they were also fixing a check engine light issue). The dealers parts department had to do a little research to get the correct parts so I would rather you let your dealer get the parts for you since they told me they needed to call BMW to make sure everything would work. My car did require the transmitter to be installed in order for the key to work. The key is sort of a gimmick (if I had to pay full price for it I would have passed) and though I'm not unhappy with it, the gimmick part wears off quickly. I am not a big guy (5'8 152lbs) and the key is not an issue when it is jacket weather but I can see it might be a problem in the summer when you are in shorts and a t shirt. My dealer and I have a long history (almost 25 years I have bought 27 cars from the same salesperson) and everyone knows the crazy Autistic writer who buy more cars a year than underwear and socks. I have also sent them many customers so I will admit I am treated some what different and they did everything for me when the key came. I was told that to install the transmitter buy the key and programming to someone else would have been about $1400. I hope this clears everything up.
Appreciate 0