View Single Post
      04-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #81
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayE30 View Post
working in auto body industry for many years, i would pull the glass. there is no good workaround for keeping the glass in, the edges around the window seal will start to lift and peel.
We are figuring that out with our paint guy. The paint on the roof and areas around the windows is in really good shape, I may be able to save it. Or it may need to be removed... The painter also said he could lift the rubber and set it a certain way so that he could blow paint and clear under the seal. We are weighing out options but having seen his work, I am confident it will come out great.

Last night I started to work on the passenger seat from the E9. I ordered a Colourlock kit to dye some of the bad areas but first I had to clean it with their heavy cleaner. Here is the seat before cleaning.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

After giving the seat a good cleaning.

I started to just dye the bad areas on the seat bottom but the leather was faded and it looked pretty bad. Re-cleaned stripping all the dye and decided to do the whole seat laying the dye on a little thicker and it started to look amazing. This is after I finished dying the seat bottoms.

And after I finished a section on the seat back.

And the finished product. I did not dye the headrest, and its a perfect match. I guess the leather "faded" or stained over the years to the darker color. I need to get some leather shield on it tonight or tomorrow but its looking good.

Its not perfect and it still shows a little wear but I like the originality and quality of the oem leather. Now I need to do the rest of the leather.
Appreciate 8
David701567.00
happyjack1657.00
MmmmmM22578.00
wdb4673.00
chassis6373.50
flybigjet6617.50
DrFerry6722.50