View Single Post
      06-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #42
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
size of road, length of road, land zoning around road, connecting streets, straightness/flatness of road, population/vehicle density in surrounding areas, and a bunch of other factors determine the speed on the street.

But usually, towns/cities/counties/states spend years planning the development of the area and in that planning, they come up with what they and experts believe is the best type of roads and speeds for the area, and design the roads around that. That is factored by population of the area, desired population, businesses and desired businesses, vision for the area (more residential focused, business focused, industrial, etc. as well as do they want it more condensed or spread out and things of that nature).

There is a ton that goes into it. Having been on my towns planning commission and going through updating the town's development and roadway planning, theres a lot of work put into it that i never realized before. My town of ~20k spent millions of dollars and years of studies and workshops to come up with their updated plan.
Thank you good sir.
Appreciate 0