View Single Post
      11-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Every one that I've ever owned or dealt with drew in sea/lake/river water, ran it through the engine block, and then spit it out with the exhaust back into the sea/lake/river. Outboards in particular.

I helped with a 289 Ford marine V8 rebuild in my late teens, and will never forget the aluminum exhaust headers that were cooled by the outgoing water and mixed the water/exhaust. I spent days with the end caps off of those manifolds trying to clean years of salt accumulation from ocean water out of them. (FWIW, the engine block was a write-off, but the heads and aluminum water-cooled intake manifold also needed serious cleaning as part of their professional rebuilds).....
I guess that makes sense with the larger displacement motors and especially outboards. I guess there's that "sweet spot" with sail boats in the engine size where the cooling system is laid out the way mine is.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615283.00