Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refujeet View Post
BMW Laserlight Headlights (this was probably a waste...I can't tell the difference. Anyone else?)
Your iX does have all the bells and whistles, indeed. Could you go more into detail why you think the interior is cheaper than the X7? Anything that stands out in particular? The iX is in the shortlist to replace my daily, but it would be a shame if it meant downgrading compared to the G05 with full Merino (well I would be ok if it matches the extended Merino).

The laserlights don't seem to be any brighter than the LEDs (at least in the G11/G05), but they do add quite a bit of functionality. Without them you lose dazzle-free matrix high beam, adaptive lights (swiveling when turning) as well as cornering light. Additionally in the iX the laser is also used for low beam as well. I always found the LEDs to produce a very inhomogeneous light, especially noticeable on low beams. Apparently that's solved with the lasers as well. I wonder why they ditched the lasers going forward from now...
I had a G05 X5 with Merino before the X7, so I can give some feedback on that too.

The leather in the iX looks great in photos and real life (smooth), but it honestly doesn't "feel" like Merino. It's hard to describe, but it feels slightly rougher…or has more friction. In terms of softness, the leather is fine and the seats are nice. I would prefer the comfort seats which offer more settings, and hug you more…but I think BMW wants to take the iX in a different direction.

In terms of things that feel cheaper than the X7, It's the small stuff…the doors feel light, and the turn indicator feels cheaper and lighter. I think these are all weight savings initiatives…so I guess you have to balance what BMW is trying to do with range. I just think it's worth pointing out.

Honestly, the fit and finish for the iX is typical BMW. Panel gaps, and material selection are well thought out. And you see details everywhere, which show BMW spent time sweating the details. I'll put a picture below which shows a small indent for the weather stripping in the trunk, to manage water flows from the side of the car. This part is completely hidden, but someone thought about this…and it made it to production. I like that…and they've done this type of stuff everywhere.

So yeah, this is not an X5/X7… but I think the sacrifices are there for a reason. I don't think they are oversights.

FWIW, we still have an order for the X7 M60i…which will be great (my wife is completely indifferent on cars, and even she "loves the X7"). But I suspect we'll drive the iX more. For context, we drive ~40,000 km/year on our cars, and we live in the city!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Flamingi529.50
Paladin15527.00
mcl117.00