No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refujeet View Post
Finally got my car, a Sapphire Black iX50!

Took delivery on Wednesday, and then sent over to my detail guy to clean up, and get coated with cquartz.

I've driven in ~150km already, and some quick takeaways below. I'm coming form an X7 M50i with DHP, so adjust comments accordingly:

PROS:
  • Acceleration is rapid like every electric car...but BMW has done a good job with the tuning to make you feel in control.
  • Looks different (and I like it). I actually like the fact that it doesn't look like anything else...I've gotten more compliments on this car over the last two days than anything else I've owned in the last five year.
  • Ride/handling is well sorted out. I feel like all electric cars accelerate the same, but BMW has done a great job sweating the small stuff. Our model y really beats me up on city roads in Toronto, and I already feel a big difference in the iX. It's a relaxing drive.
  • Interior is clean and elegant...Although I miss some buttons, I'm glad they didn't go "full Tesla" with the interior.
  • HUD is massive and shows a lot of information...maybe even too big!
  • New wide bang integration with iPhone is great...just like Tesla.
  • Sunroof is nice...and the glazing does a good job of not letting the sun bother you.
  • I'm glad child locks for the rear doors are now a button next to the driver...you can switch it on/off if there are adults in the back.
  • It's electric...so, the car is costing me almost the same amount per month as my gas bill for the last month!
  • Range looks to be better than expected. Based on my current mix of highway/city driving, it's estimating a range of 570km on a full charge

CONS (mostly applies to me only):
  • Interior does feel cheaper than my X7 in comparison...I'm thinking weight savings impacted some decisions here.
  • I miss the comfort seats with seat depth adjustment (I have long legs, so that was a good resting spot)...in general, there are a lot of premium features missing compared to the X5/X7.
  • Driver's side visibility when changing lanes is worse (thicker B pillar?), but this might be because the X7 has HUGE windows.
  • The new iDrive will need some getting used to...a lot of the features are hidden in there.
  • Harmon Kardon sound system is fine. I'm not an audiophile, and I don't think this is good. I should have upgraded...so if you are on the fence, just do it. I've never updgraded to the highest sound system on any of our cars, but I would do that if I had the chance again.
  • Cruise control distance adjustment is not a button on steering anymore...they could have just used the same rocker/swivel switch as the volume/track button on the right side of the wheel. I have different distance settings for traffic, versus driving full speed on a highway, so this might get annoying.
  • Speed limit doesn't show up in the dash now...I might not have activated the right setting. It used to work on the X7.
  • Door mechanism is weird. When you open it, the door just "pops" open, rather than the smooth motion in other BMWs. And the door definitely feels cheaper than other X models from the outside (I have soft close).
  • I do miss the V8 in the X7, and even the handling with DHP. I actually miss the sound, and I don't feel like I own the road quite as much...and this doesn't feel quite "vault-like".

Hopefully, the above isn't too negative. I'm actually very excited; and looking forward to learning more about the car. It will be interesting to watch where BMW takes this platform!
What interior seating material do you have that makes it feel cheaper than the x7? I have the chestnut leather, and it feels insanely premium compared to other recent cars I've owned in the same price point. It blows the merino leather away from my recent M cars.

Also the car feels faster in regular driving than my X4MC, so I'm surprised to hear you say it feels underpowered compared to the X7. Also handles better as a daily then the X4MC did, surprisingly.

Honestly the fit and finish of this car is superior to my recent Porsche. Somewhat surprised by the opinions here. It's my favorite car currently. I actually found myself reaching for the keys to it over my Boxster GTS 4.0 on a sunny day as it's a better overall drive.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15556.00