View Single Post
      10-14-2014, 03:13 AM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Will BMW's EVs come to be "dead" before they really get going? The HFC threat

I just saw this from a show, TechKnow, that airs on Aljazeera America: Introducing the era of hydrogen cars | Al Jazeera America .

Supplementary information: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/au...anted=all&_r=0

Hydrogen Cars Could Hit Roads by Next Year, Automakers Say - Going Green | Redondo Beach, California Patch

Please watch the video before commenting.

I am far more interested in hydrogen fuel cell (HFC) cars than I am in electric ones. Foremost among the reasons I would buy an HFC and not an electric vehicle (EV) is that the former doesn't require me to change anything about my driving habits. (Or at least if/when hydrogen fueling stations become ubiquitous, it won't.) Moreover, as the output of an HFC is H2O, hydrogen is a fully recoverable and reusable resource, to say nothing of its being by far, far, far the most abundant element on the planet. We'll never run out of hydrogen, and if fission becomes something that can in the future be done on industrial levels at sane prices, more can be made if needed.

Interesting: Toyota giving away its first hydrogen car in US

Take a look at the video and then share your thoughts.

As for EVs, I can't say I'm certain they are "dead" before they really get out of the starting block. The limited range and long recharging times have just been unacceptable to me, so while my favorite car maker offers two EV models, one of which looks awesome to me, I have refrained from buying one. I can see plenty of use for them, particularly in large cities and as the power for small, personal transport vehicles, such as bikes, motorcycles (if a small and long lasting enough and effective enough battery exists), and commuter cars like the Smart Car. In that context, I can see the EV coexisting with HFCs.

All the best.

The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.
― Nikola Tesla

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0