03-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
I imagine the costs of putting a bigger engine in the i8 will be very prohibitive given how expensive the car is already. A V6 is probably the best option given the width restriction and having to fit a gearbox in to drive the rear wheels but BMW don't have a V6 that I know of so that would be completely new as well.

The best bet for a fast i8 I believe is full electrification when battery energy density allows decent range and also keeps the weight down enough to retain the handling.

A retro-fit kit in the future would be interesting, expensive and need some clever software but physically I can see it working.

I think BMW will absolutely not revise the i8 with a bigger engine, or anything significant at all.

I think it is possible (50/50) that they will create a different successor with a completely new structure, with more flexibility designed in (engine size and perhaps the possibility of 100 BEV option model later).

Retrofit kit is unlikely I think too, as the market size for such a modification would be tiny. e.g. I would not buy it.
Appreciate 0