Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
[/I]

Things must be very different in Australia. anywhere in North America you will get ordered to get back in your car, and likely not politely. You may get a pistol pointed at you if you're lucky you don't get shot. The police want you in your car for a number of reasons, among them is your safety as the copper needs to worry about his ass and the traffic and doesn't want to have to worry about yours, the bigger reason is it gives him a tactical advantage. And the police generaly don't want to shake hands with anyone and again there area number of reasons for this.

This. Most of my family were in law enforcement. My brother is still an active sheriff's deputy. Best thing to do is stay in the car, keep your hands in plain view, and just be polite. 90% of the stuff they have to deal with is negative or an attack on them for doing their job, so yeah...some of them just wear the attitude up front. But most of the time if you are respectful, you will see that persona drop pretty quickly unless they are anal people to begin with.

Now some are dicks, but most of them are pretty cool. My daughter is marrying into a police family next month. The kid's dad is the swat team trainer, and his uncle is the coroner for our county.

Plus most of the city and county cops actually come over and take classes at our Aikido School just for added protection. We teach them that you have a certain amount of space around you that is yours, and if someone enters that space you immediately react.

The stories I hear of some of their crazier exploits sometimes make me cringe. An arm-bar is an effective deterrent....but add some leverage to that in the form of a club and things can get really painful.