View Single Post
      03-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
ggMalkavian
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2019

Was I out of line for refusing the $8 key fob battery?

Hey guys!

Just got back from my BMW dealership for a oil change on my X3 2019.

It's all covered under warranty so I wasn't expecting to pay anything but the service guy told me he saw my car remote battery was weak so he installed a new one and it would be 8 CAD$+ tax.

I changed the battery about 3 weeks ago myself. I had not had any issues or message about the battery being weak. But it's a cheap battery at about 2$/ea. so I guess it's possible he got that "weak battery" warning. However, I got a big batch of these batteries at home so I'm really not interested in his battery especially at that price.

I told him thanks but I already have a few at home and I know how to install them. So I would rather use my own batteries. He said "So you would like me to take it out?? Cause I'm not even sure we kept your old one...". I said yeah if you don't mind.

He went away for like 3-4 minutes and told me he found an old one laying around and he put it in my remote. I thought that was a bit weird. Tell me if I'm wrong but I think if he couldn't find my battery, he should have at least let the new one in there. But I said fine, I'll just change it at home as soon as I get the weak battery message on my screen.

After we're all done I went back to my car. Turns out he put a dead battery in my remote cause it's not working at all. I guess I could have used my actual key and just change the battery when I got home but I had never used the key on this car and was afraid I would trigger the car alarm in the dealership parking lot. Plus, I was a bit annoyed he would take out my working battery and give me a dead one instead without me asking for anything.

So I went back him and told him the battery was dead. Please understand during the whole thing I was extremely polite and apologetic like the whole thing was my fault and I was sorry for being difficult.

He sighed loudly took the remote and went away for a few minutes. Came back and said "There - you've got a brand new battery now". I said thanks and I left.

I'm new to the world of BMW. Is this normal? Was I suppose to pay for the battery and stfu? Please let me know if you think I was in the wrong anywhere in the whole thing.

Thanks!

Last edited by ggMalkavian; 03-13-2020 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00