04-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #49
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Commercial OTR trucks will never use batteries. The weight penalty is just too high. They will always use diesel as a primary fuel.

Hydrogen fuel cell, never happen.

BTW It still burns hydrogen stored in tanks. Same limitations apply.

Oh and one more thing. Here's a telltale sign of why it will never happen. From the article,
"In our view, hydrogen as energy carrier must first be produced in sufficient quantities at a competitive price using green electricity"

I'm going to unpack this. Basically BMW has acknowledged that because generating hydrogen is highly polluting, they're trying to use as little as possible per vehicle in anticipation of the low quantities of hydrogen which are available using price competitive "green electricity".
Hydrogen is no more polluting than full lifecycle EVs. Both are better than ICE--though only marginally once you factor in lifecycle. It's nowhere near the 70% enthusiasts claim. Much closer to 15-20% less footprint when you factor in mining, shipping, dirty power sources, disposal, etc.

That said hydrogen is a great alternative to EV especially in countries with long distances between cities or extremely cold climates. Most importantly it doesn't require long charge times which will absolutely cripple our infrastructure if enough people switch to EV. So I really disagree that hydrogen isn't going to be in our future.

Further to all of this, consumers do not care. EVs can make ZERO sense, just like SUVs honestly, but people buy them anyway. People like "feel good" and not necessarily "do good" when it comes to going green. Reusable bags are a great example of this. BMW probably has some of the best analysts on the planet informing their exec where to take the company. So rest assured this is a smart move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck335 View Post
Battery technology is advancing at a fairly fast rate.
Faster than the infrastructure for wide adoption of hydrogen FCEV's

In about 8 years mainstream BEV's that charge up in 5-10 minutes will start appearing on the market. At that point passenger FCEV (and ICE) will be pointless.
8 years is insanely optimistic and requires a total overhaul of decades of infrastructure evolution. Not everywhere is Toronto or LA I'll say that at least EVs are less dangerous than hydrogen cells, but again, your problem is adoption rates. If successful, they will be nearly impossible to use for long distance drives. For example take cottage country near you there. Everyone will be charging at the same predictable spots which will create massive lines. Hydrogen is better I think in this sense while using basically the same supply chain--like you can probably retrofit gas stations.