Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck335 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I guess those heavy trucks will have to keep on truckin with diesel then! Woo Hoo! Let's roll some coal!!

Do Norwegians even know what "rolling coal" is? 🤔
Oh look... electric excavators with fast charging.
Who'da thought??

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/04/09...truction-site/

Bye bye diesel.
Your snarky comment actually comical. Believe it or not I have years of experience working as an excavator; so I can speak as somewhat of an expert on this. While I've never so much as been in Norway, never mind dig a hole there, I know how excavation companies operate in the US. These electric excavators *might* work in the application mentioned in the article... in the inner city... but it would be an expensive proposition to buy a dedicated machine that only works in that application. Most serious excavation projects are on a site before there's electric service. Almost all the time nothing is on site except maybe teams clearing trees. We bring fuel oil to the site for the machines with fuel tanks in the bed of pickup trucks. So for an electric excavator to work we'd either have to bring a diesel generator (what's the point there), or somehow bring massive batteries off-road to recharge the batteries in the equipment. It sounds like a disaster. I also chuckle at the poor electric excavator salespeople trying to talk to guys who work with dirt for a living that they should buy a "cleaner" machine. That would be fun to watch.