06-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #25
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Tilum, very envious of you getting the test drive. I'm sure you'll give all of us a thorough review afterwards. It will be interesting to hear from a real consumer, rather than the auto journalists who have written about the test drives to date. Hopefully by the time of your test drive those of us with the early allocations in the US will actually be contacted to place our orders. It's a little unsettling that we've heard of September deliveries for initial US orders, but still do not have a configurator up on the BMWUSA site. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer (have heard from a couple sources to expect it by early July).
Oh yeah, I must admit I'd forgotten that I probably ought to write a review of the test drive on here LOL. I've been subtly reminded, thanks

The more reviews I read, the more I hear that the car seems to be really well received by the automotive press. (Barring a few silly comparisons and remarks based on not knowing actual facts about the car.)

Although the online car configurator on the UK website has been up for months, it's not until relatively recently that it allows you to spec the various options like the Driving Assistance package. The online configurator kind of becomes irrelevant to a certain extent (unless using it to send your configuration directly to BMW UK to order your car), as the i dealerships spec the cars on the internal ordering system.

They have however made quite a few changes to the UK site in the past day or so, including further info on the Connectivity, Safety, and Charging pages.

Although my i dealer's test drive event is being arranged for Saturday 19th July (at a private location), they may be holding a launch event at the a dealership on the Friday night, the day before. I'll keep you posted.

Agreed, BMW are leaving it rather late for U.S. spec'd cars... The UK i dealers were first able to spec cars on the internal ordering system and draw up contracts on 20th March this year, with initial customer cars seeming to have an ETA of July/August. So based on July U.S. deliveries the dealers should have been able to spec them in March/April.

Fingers crossed U.S. customers aren't made to wait to long for their i8s.

T
Appreciate 0