View Single Post
      08-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #190
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
It is odd. The only logical thing I can think of is that they are ready to start shipping them over for launch and the first boat is NYC/NJ bound, so they've started finalizing prep to ship them and releasing them by destination port. Anyone else on here have a Northeastern US bound i8 they can check the status on?

As I said previously, a nationwide "everyone gets theirs within 24 hours" launch seems like a borderline impossible, logistical nightmare that would cost much more in time, effort, and money than would ever be gained by doing so...but a launch broken up by region/port would be much more feasible. i.e. Someone hoping to "be first" on the block/city to have their i8 would be much more perturbed about the dealership across town getting theirs weeks before you, but does it matter if someone 3000 miles away got theirs? If that were the case, they would be having a come-apart that people in Europe already have theirs.

I mean, think of what it would take. All ports of entry talking to one another, synchronizing watches. Sitting down, assigning each car on a route...but no car on a route where there is more than 24 hours between the first drop and, not only any other drop on that route, but any drop of any car anywhere else in the US. I'm talking if they are SERIOUS about no dealer getting their more than 24 hours before or after another. Other synchronized launches are more "we're holding them all until we hit critical mass, then we're releasing them together, but their actual time of arrival is solely dependent on transit time." I believe that's how the Z8 launch went. The cars were held until the first batch was done then they were shipped together. I don't think they got as granular as timing truck departures from ports nationwide.

Regardless, it would be nice for the US manager of BMW i to come out and say what their plans are so those of us with fairly busy work and travel schedules can try and plan around the delivery.

MYBMW updated as well.

Last edited by Carac; 08-26-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0