07-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
More premium in the realm of mainstream vehicles. Not the level of luxury, but they weren't bargains for their classes, especially the Toureg. The Passat and Jetta were typically pricier and more premium in their feel and quality compared to the rest of the class, hence when I say "premium" its more equivalent to the likes of say, Buick, something a little better than mainstream, but not luxury.

VW's Passat started at $23k and could be optioned to $37k… in 2008. That's the same starting price as today's cheaper built and quality NMS Passat.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ark-in-the-us/
Fair enough. I'll admit I really haven't followed VW much by model comparison in the past 25 years or so, only more within the industry POV. To me VW has always been a low-cost cheap-ass car. Even when the Rabbit and the GTI version debuted they were great drivers, but cheap. I've always viewed Audi as the premium brand of VAG; but I remember when Audis were POS too.

My nephew has a 2015 (?) Passat that I've seen once a few years ago. I think he got it out the door for $16K (guessing as I don't remember the exact number). I thought for the content it offered it was a decent buy for the price. He liked the way it drove. He still has it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0