View Single Post
      11-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
JorgenTrued
Rep
Drives: i3s

Question i3 future and future value

I spoke to the largest BMW Dealer in Stockholm today. He confirmed that production of the i3 ends in june/july next year. Right now BMW takes lease orders for "standardized" i3's with Pro nav and bluetooth connectivity. You just get to pick Your metallic paint. 12 months 10000 km lease of 250 dollars / months.
BMW Financial Ltd. will not reveal any buy out numbers for the day when the lease ends.

So what will the future be for the i3?
Will it still hold its value as a unique and avantgarde automobile? I am inclined to think so specially the fully loaded ones with leather, sunroof and the better light tech etc. There will never be a car like this again form a company like BMW ore anyone else for that matter.
The Audi A2 with its aluminum space frame design and super efficient engine still holds it value. But the is a fossile burner. What speaks for i3 is that it is electric and has super good batteries. Might not be the longest range but those batteries last for ever.

I have tracked every single drive for the last 6 years with various cars like M4, Macan, S5. The typical length of a driv is not near the i3s maximum range of 300 km. I can charge both in my garage and at the vacation home. I can do it. So I think that there is always going to be a need for a car with the "right" range and with a minimal footprint on the environment. What should You drive around with a battery 3x what you need for 98% of your drives? Does not make sense.

So why are BMW ending the i3 that is selling better by every year. Still a great solid design and super materials. A company does not have to kill off a great product, or is it as simple that they can turn better profit out of "regular" EV's in the Leipzig factory. The BMW board has had it? I do not know.

Please give Your thoughts on the matter in this tread.

PS. I have had an eye towards this car ever since I saw it in pieces at BMW Welt in Munich when I drove there in my brand new M4 in 2015. Ever since. Then a week ago I found a slightly pre-owned Jacaro beige i3s with all the bells and whistles. Tomorrow I pull the trigger. Yes call me crazy doing so on a dying model but it still feels like a very sane and good decision. The car does not feel old. It feel right in pace with time with RIGHT SIZING. Unfortunately Must have in a way killed the EV industry with over-sized batteries. DS.