02-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #498
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
IMO when a person wears a fake watch it says something about that person.. The choice for me is simple, I would rather wear no watch at all or a Casio over a fake Rolex or anything fake at all. Because I would rather be viewed as cheap rather than a poser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
Amen. The people wearing fake rolexes are probably the same people who drive 328s rebadged as M3s.
A watch doesn't say much of anything about person other than that is the watch they decided they want to wear.

What does say something about a person are things like:
  • their work performance
  • the way they treat other people
  • the extent to which they raised "good kids"
I don't care what watch one wears, it doesn't say anything about them. Heck, with a watch, I can't even be 100% certain they bought it rather than merely received it. I know I've given watches as gifts, on multiple occasions, no less.

What I can say is that it's presumptuous to draw conclusions about others on the basis of one data point, to say nothing of so irrelevant a data point as the watch on their wrist being the basis for a conclusion about another's character. That one would do so says more about the person making the presumption than it does about the person wearing the watch.

I think that the "TMZ mentality" has gone too far in our society. It's true that public figures do and say things in order to manage, create and/or control their public persona and how they are perceived. Celebs, for example, may choose an article of clothing or jewelry to further their "image de jour," they may behave in certain ways to the same purpose, but I find it hard to believe that many non-public individuals do the same thing.

I think "regular" people have and do things on the "oh, this is neat/this'll do" basis and little more than that. I think that especially re: watches because there really aren't that many folks who are "into" watches as little more than a fashion accessory that tells time. If they are going to make a fashion statement, I think they will do so with their garments, not their watch.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0