09-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUELED View Post
This was extremely insightful, thank you.

Do I decide between a formal or informal entry or who decides this, or what determines the type of entry it is? Being under $800 or $2000? Sorry I’m a bit confused about all this.
@M FUELED Read every word on the CBP site, three times. There are documents that the seller needs to prepare. The CBP reads these documents an applies the laws accordingly.

Separate but related, what you want as the buyer is "DDP" Incoterms. DDP=Delivered Duty Paid. This means the seller pays everything and handles all paperwork. You do nothing except send payment to the seller and receive the goods at your door. DDP is the highest burden on the seller, and the least burden on the buyer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoterms

Bill of lading and commercial or pro forma invoice are two important documents, there may be more. I think the commercial invoice, or simply invoice, is where value is declared. Bill of lading is a document that identifies the contents of a container (box, crate). I have imported containers into the US from Italy, the value was much higher than $2.5k and I used a customs broker.

Being as close to the line as your are, it would be an act of conservatism to go the formal entry route. Unless you can negotiate the price + shipping to arrive under $800.

Read the CBP site, and the Incoterms wikipedia site. Multiple times.

If your seller can work with UPS, FedEx or DHL, these companies have the experience to handle your transaction. You will pay a higher overall logistics price, but there is the least chance for hiccups. If you and the seller DIY the transaction, you will pay the lowest logistics cost (maybe). Chance for holdups, hiccups, detention charges and unexpected fees would be higher.

Don't skimp on packaging (crating). You will regret it. Ocean freight is the least expensive, and it's brutal. Air freight is expensive, more so when the crating is large and heavy, as it should be to ensure the goods arrive undamaged.

Last edited by chassis; 09-26-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 1