06-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #28
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
My friend thinks the US has been holding back details to keep from ticking off foreign customers by waiting until they take delivery before revealing all the options they had to pay extra for are standard in the US. The logic being you're less likely to complain if you've already taken delivery. This sounds far fetched, but after the negative backlash in the SLS community when AMG started offering the "GT" "model" that was just a 20-hp tune and black trim, it has some precedent.
TBH I don't think that's the issue as the i8 comes pretty much fully loaded (spec-wise) on UK cars. As you can see from my order form in post #2 I've not needed to add barely any options and I'm a person that all too often ticks lots of Options boxes when spec'ing new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
On another note, what is the model year on the cars they've delivered and on the order sheets people are getting? It seems a little late into 2014 to launch a 2014 model. GM has been selling 2015's for months now.
Apologies, but you'll have to excuse my ignorance with regards to MYs Carac, as the UK market seems to work rather differently to the U.S.
Generally speaking the true age of a car in the UK (when it's built) is not often known, as we (Brits) tend to determine the age of a car based on when it is first registered (on the road). The DVLA changed the registration rules back in 2001. Prior to that, cars were registered on based on a prefix letter which changed every year (in March). However due to consumers all wanting the latest reg (presumably to show off to the neighbours that they'd got a new car!) it resulted in a peak of number of cars being bought and registered in March, and consequently a lull in new cars being sold (and registered) in November-February (as everyone would 'wait' for the new registration year).
In a bid to spread new car orders more evenly throughout the year, the DVLA changed this (in 2001) such that new model year designations were issued twice a year. E.g. Cars registered in Sep-14 having a 64 prefix, Mar-15 having a 15 prefix, Sep-15 having a 65 prefix, Mar-16 having a 16 prefix, etc.

Hence if my i8 arrives in Feb-15 I will delay it being registered until Mar-15 as it will have the newer registration, and hence help improve resale value later down the line.

Hope that explains it?!?

T
Appreciate 0