vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
You can use dynamic DNS. I have two domains registered with two different dynamic DNS services. One is with Dyn.com which used to be free. I've been using it for years and have much of my VPN clients configured to use the domain registered with Dyn...decided to keep paying for it.
Maybe I'm going crazy, but I thought that Dyn went out of the dynamic DNS business a few years ago after Oracle bought them out? I was a happy paying Dyn customer for years, and had to move everything over to Amazon AWS Route53. Maybe it was just their generic domain dynamic host names like *.homelinux.net (which I was also using to point at my home IP address) that they stopped offering?

What I have set up now is a network/web connectivity test that runs from home every 5 minutes, checking a secured web page on one of my AWS cloud servers. The web page checks the source IP address that loaded the secure page, and updates the DNS host entry pointing to my home gateway on AWS Route53 to match if the source IP address has changed.

FWIW, my IPv4 address has been the same for over a year now, and I'm pretty sure that Spectrum has assigned me an entire /64 of static IPv6 addresses through prefix delegation.....