Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Strong-willed dogs will break the "electric" fence. I had golden retrievers which could do it (with a running start) so I'm sure a GSD with strong prey drive could do the same.

Plus you have to be diligent with keeping the collar clean or at least had to with ours (long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away)
The GSD i am not worried about at all. If it was just him i probably wouldnt worry about a fence. He doesnt go off anywhere, has a great recall and i take him outside off leash now all the time he just hangs out by me
your assessment of the differences between the Shepherd and the Lab is spot on. i've always had Labs and the worry with Labs is that when they take off they don't pay any attention to the way back, when it eventually occurs to them that it's dinner time they have no clue and a big Lab can cover a lot of distance.
invisible fence works just fine for both male and female Labs. i currently have two, one a 105lb male. you may already know that male Labs can be pretty hard-headed and seemingly oblivious to pain. once properly trained a Lab will not mess with that fence. as others have said they definitely will respect the beeper on the collar which starts a yard or so from the actual jolt. it works even on a young Lab at wot which as you know is saying something.
during training as the dog approaches the fence he only gets a partial jolt that is adjustable anyway, so your dog actually getting hurt by it is unlikely.
Appreciate 0