11-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #329
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
In my case, I think it either left the factory or arrived at the port on the date they originally said it would be completed. But with the QA checks and how some cars were completed and held while cars produced after got shipped (Anyone heard from drlonline?), who knows. Hopefully not too long for you.
Okay, I guess I’ve been in mourning long enough. I dropped off this blog for the last couple months for a couple reasons. First, I cancelled the order for my i8 and second, I spent a month in the hospital recovering from a burst appendix. Sadly, the second reason was the cause of the first reason.

Briefly, here is my tale of woe. When I last left this blog, I was anxiously awaiting the delivery of my i8, which was on a ship transporting it to California. Arrival at the VDC was scheduled for October 4. In early September, I had a business trip to Hong Kong. The day after I arrived in Hong Kong, I experienced some stomach nausea that quickly degenerated into excruciating pain in my abdomen. Within 12 hours, I was in a hospital getting my appendix, which had burst, removed. Without getting into the medical details, there were complications from the first surgery which led to a second surgery a week later. Before it was all said and done, I ended up spending a month recovering in the hospital in Hong Kong. Suffice it to say, I was not a happy camper.

I returned to the U.S. on the same weekend my car was to arrive at the VDC. Unfortunately, I was a wreck, both physically and emotionally. It probably goes without saying that to spend a month in the hospital is a very trying experience, only made worse by having that hospital be in a foreign country, thousands of miles away from family and friends. It was with tremendous sadness that I contacted my dealer to let him know I was in no condition to take delivery of the car. It took me nearly a month before I was able to return to work, so I just felt overwhelmed by the whole experience and incapable of handling the purchase of a new car.

I like to think that everything happens for a reason, so maybe I just wasn’t meant to get the i8 at this time. I certainly intend to revisit it in a few years, when hopefully any initial production bugs have been worked out (and maybe the infamous display key will be available ). I still love the car, and enjoy reading with envy of the experiences of those of you who have taken delivery of their cars. Keep the posts coming, and hopefully I’ll be able to join your club in the future.
Appreciate 0