View Single Post
      10-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
insanecoder
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
The thing about Russia is that they don't need more land in terms of area, but they need more land that is more strategic.
Let's call it useful land, shall we?

Russia has a huge geography problem.
They have the largest land by area but much of it is inhospitable and cannot be used for agriculture.
They have one of the largest coastlines but almost all of it is useless, particularly during winter.
In other words, no warm water ports exist in Russia's traditional geography.

Now, Russia has a few warm-ports under their control (Kaliningrad, Vladivostok, and Crimea). All in strategic locations.
Russia pulled some shady stuff through a combination of war and political strategy in Manchuria (Treaty of Aigun), and in East Prussia (Expulsion of Germans) to gain the strategic warm-water ports of Königsberg (Kaliningrad) on the Baltic Sea and Haishenwai (Vladivostok) on the Sea of Japan.
I don't need to explain how Crimea happened, but again it has nothing to do with land gain and everything to do with strategic access/control to/of the Black Sea.

Geopolitically speaking, these access points give Russia the ability to counterbalance regional powers, since Russian territory is so expansive.
In the present day, Kaliningrad and Crimea basically serve to counterbalance NATO and Vladivostok serves to counterbalance the United States in the Pacific and Northeast Asia (Japan/South Korea).
I was surprised when the Ukrainian crisis hit that Russian tanks did not sweep the country in 24hrs.. this also tells me Putin is a good chess player a dangerous one.

Lups, all Putin wants is alil love.. you Finns should give him sum
Lups10933.00