Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastali8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Thats basically because back in 2013/14, an electric car was a "statement", they were made to be different, made to stick out as different.
The mass consumer however wants a regular car, and now that EV's are more mainstream, the "statement" and curb appeal is no longer important.
I know many people said they would wait until EV's looked like normal cars before buying one, because they don't want to stand out and they didn't like the design.
The new regular looking EV's are selling very well.

Sometimes it not about being innovative, fresh and exiting, it's about what the mass market want.
In the end they are making these cars with one purpose, to make a profit, nothing else.
Well….
Tesla claims to have over one million reservations for the CiberTruck and it's about as different and in my opinion extremely ugly as it gets.
So there obviously is a large market segment that want their EV to look different.

I'm just guessing… but at least in the US the i3 had no marketing exposure, was a little misunderstood, and was probably a little overpriced compared to similar EV's as the reason it was not more successful.
Lol yea no real marketing, people still have no idea what it is around me,

Also yea it's a 50k / 60k dollar hatchback! (With options) Was never going to do well.

Not even power seats!

But it was a design philosophy made real, with what us designers dream of but rarely get to make. And as many have said we tend to make cars with mass appeal. So we make the investors happy with lots of sales and profits!

If they made the proportion more low and wide like a sporty 3 series it may have done better.

Hatch backs here in USA are seen as entry level econo boxes more or less.... not premium vehicles.

Plus our country is spread all over the place and not built like many tight European city's so it was kind of out of place here for many. It just didn't offer the range many needed.

I live 6 miles from work with no freeway so it was more than enough for me. And living in the rust belt it's the perfect car that won't rust.

The materials is what sells it for me not the tech. In fact just based of materials used it's still state of the art and no other car other than the i8 can claim it. It's still pretty special. Also with the material used it's so light that it gives you this lightness and nimbleness that's hard to beat in other EV's

And driving other EV's around I don't feel I'm missing anything either. Quite happy with it and have no desires to own anything else for some time. The fact it's so rare around here I prefer as it stands out among the sea of boring.

And the fact their so cheap here is just nuts, used ones are going for 8k to 10k bucks with 30k miles!
That alone puts it in best bang for your buck status! Lol.
Appreciate 1
Coastali8125.50