Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arijaycomet View Post
My $0.02 ---

Background: I've owned TONS of EVs (Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, ALL the Tesla models, Audi eTron A3, Audi eTron SUV, 3x BMW i8, and currently BMW i3S 2018)

About two weeks ago I came to learn that the local BMW/Mini dealer had a 2020 Mini Cooper SE Electric sitting on their lot. Drove my i3 up there to check it out. This is a brand new car that is not yet sold-- and while the black exterior and grey wheels was not really "my thing" I'll speak less about the aesthetics and more about the driving.

In my experience FWD EVs suffer from torque steer, and this car was no different. You fight the steering when you get into it hard, whereas the i3 seems to fare better. Like the funny images above: there is something to be said about RWD + strong torque. I had a high horsepower modified VW GTI years ago and it was only fun on the expressway. Around town it just wanted to eat tires and my clutch.

That said, the low center of gravity and handling dynamics of the chassis made the Mini far more fun in the twists. We took it for a test drive to a nearby park system, where the roads are 25-35mph but you can get away doing much faster. Body roll is minimal, and being FWD you can get back on the power sooner exiting a corner. It was a blast to drive, and the sight lines were almost as good as the i3 for visibility.

My wife was a fan of the Mini, felt it fit her style and enjoyment more. She is not the world's biggest fan of the BMW i3, saying it is quirky. She likes the charm of the Mini, and the small sporty feeling. Frankly, I think if the BMW i3 had slightly wider tires and sat lower by 1-2 inches it could be as good. Mine is the 2018 i3-S trim level, so it has the benefits there, but I still think it needs some 225mm tires and a hefty drop. (Not the small drop the current springs offer, but a legit 2" drop) -- but that is my personal taste, and I love "small hot hatch cars"

With that said, I felt like the torque and power of the i3 was actually better, in that you could feel the rear end bias and that makes the i3 around town a bit more "spry" feeling. The mini somehow came off feeling heavier (I haven't not looked, is it?). I think the fact that its FWD just made it feel planted, pros/cons --

If I were shopping for an EV, the price point of the Mini would be hard to pass up at $35k compared to the BMW i3. But the extra miles you get from the BMW might be nice. Though at that point I still think the Chevy Bolt EV is the best "compliance" for cost/miles/range benefits. I'd put it this way--- the Bolt is good for range and usefulness (5 door hatch). The Mini is good for sporty, fun, handling, chassis, but small. And the BMW i3 sits somewhere between? That is my take--- enjoy!
The mini is heavier and has a higher COG.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0