08-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #15
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijaycomet View Post
Short answer:
I will ALWAYS have a Tesla of some sort in my garage.
(currently we have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance that is EPA rated 295 miles and does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds)

Long answers:
Really depends so greatly on your use-case. For my daily driving the BMW i3s is actually more efficient (cost per mile) over the Tesla, and the taller ride height, small size, make it a great "city car" for me. That said the $50k+ price tag is stupid expensive. If you want the best blend of cost, features, etc the Chevy Bolt still wins for being a 200+ mile EV that, with discounts, can be had for good money.

But ... if you plan to travel with the car, nothing compares to the Tesla supercharger network. So a used Tesla, for many folks, is the best option. I've used EVgo and ElectrifyAmerica chargers, to drive from my home (Cleveland, Ohio) to eastern New York, central Indiana, etc. And yet the Tesla trips are easier, faster, more reliable etc.

Hope this helps!
This is very helpful. What we're looking for is something (i) city friendly, (ii) electric, and (iii) cost conscious. A used i3 fits the boat. Especially #3 - some of the deals out there are . Its mainly for the wife, as i take the subways to work (guess thats an EV too). And the parking garage she uses at work is insanely tight to the point a sienna, with a not so confident driver, actually got stranded down there

Think i'm getting over the RWD issue - if there's a blizzard, hopefully they cancel her patients anyways. Range anxiety is what brought tesla back into the mix, but honestly if we're going to road trip, we'll probably take my <20mpg m3 (sorry earth). Regardless we'll look for an i3 with the range extender.

Thanks so much for your insight - its definitely very helpful. Now time to wait for covid to cool off a bit before we're comfortable road tripping across a few states to score a great deal.
Appreciate 0