View Single Post
      02-24-2019, 03:04 AM   #370
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
Got a video? And how old are you? 425 lb is shit ton of weight. Do you do any stretches, mobility exercises, and what is your overall approach for doing squats. What do you weigh, and how long have you been lifting.

I can put most people to shame on squat form, and depth but I have never even come close to 400 lbs for my actual 1 RM (not JM way of calculating your 1 RM). I think weight of a person, depth (quarter squats are obviously easier than below parallel), and age plays an important role (and obviously if one is on sauce or not) but no matter how hard I tried I was never actually able to do even 370 lb.
Harris, I’m 47, 5’10 180 lbs. All natural, always have been. I use HMB which I feel has really helped me retain muscle size and strength as I’ve gotten older. I video all my 1rms. I definitely need to see my form and breakdown the movement if it’s a failed rep. Squats most importantly for my depth. I always break parallel (hip crease below knee).

I squat a lot....like 2-3 times a week. A lot of variations (Front Squats, Box Squats, Squat Cleans) and of course High bar BS. As for mobility and stretching, I do a ton. I use a mobility program from Kelly Starrett, the guru of mobility and human movement. I focus mainly on hips, hams and back. A lot of shoulder mobility also.

I’ve been working out/lifting/training since High School so over 30 yrs now. Playing collegiate Football and Lacrosse built a strong foundation for leg power, which carried on into my older years. I dabbled in competitive CrossFit for awhile working a lot of Olympic lifts. But I changed all my training around and do more hybrid functional stuff mixed with strength and metabolic conditioning. It is working well. I am by no means an expert but I know what works for me. Hopefully this helped you out a bit.
Appreciate 0