View Single Post
      09-06-2019, 04:33 AM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The image-processing computer doesn't seem like it can keep up with making steering decisions when you exceed 35 MPH or so, and it really starts to get jerky/choppy to the point of tagging both lane marker lines and looking like a DUI. The system also doesn't seem to be able to apply enough force to the steering wheel on even moderate curves, leaving the driver to grab the wheel at the last second to prevent an off-course excursion. It also requires a car in front at a certain distance and lane markings on both sides to engage. Basically, it works OK for traffic jams and not much else.

There's a YouTube video review that says TJA is only 40% compared to Tesla's autopilot function. Not having ever driven a Tesla, I can't say if that score is generous or not. The longest that I ever had TJA drive without cutting itself off or needing to correct it was less than two miles...at 25 MPH in a 55 zone behind a crawling dump truck. On many days, not one inch of my 10 mile each way commute meets all of the requirements for TJA to engage. I second the statement that it is a toy or novelty more than a useful feature.....