Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_william View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Variety and freshness of green beans is a primary reason. And expense of roasting equipment that's consistent enough to compare to what's readily available.

Its similar to home brew. You can do it, but it doesn't really save money or compare to commercially available products.
You can home roast for $20. Hot air popcorn popper.

Fresh green beans are readily available.

I've been home roasting for 10 years and can consistently get good results. Obviously not using a popcorn popper anymore. A good roaster with 1lb capacity runs under $400.

A pound of green coffee runs about $7. My time is free. I get the absolute freshest coffee you can get, roasted same day.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
I don't trust the freshness of the green beans. Beans only have a month or two of ideal life. And getting a natural process or honey from a lot of countries is hard or a very short window. The good roasters have direct relationships that bypass the big resellers and they do tend to get the better beans.

I've had excellent home roasted beans. It's a very cool thing and I fully realize it can save a few bucks. I just have tastes that fall outside of what's readily available.
Appreciate 0