12-13-2017, 05:54 AM   #158
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
As I said, respect is due for most cars whether it's strong point is reliability, efficiency, practicality, peformance, wahtever. Most cars have a virtue. The M3s are wonderful cars (I've borrowed an E46 CSl from a friend and an E90), wonderful cars. My complaint is for anyone to say a car is pointless/unloved, especially something like an i8 is simply ridiculous.

One of my all time favourite cars was a 1990 Cavalier 2.0GLi. Cost me £2000 to buy and I took it from 90k to 150k miles with virtually no expense apart from oil changes, sold it for £1500 two years later. Fuel economy was in the 40s on a cruise and it was quick enough around town with its torquey 8v engine, it would do 130mph - reliably. Dull as dishwater but I loved the thing, suited me perfectly for 2 years while I was doing a high mile commute.
Agreed. In my early 20s back in the mid 80s I bought A Porsche 924 (really wanted a 928, but couldn't afford it). Even in the 80s it wasn't desperately quick off the mark, or quick top speed, but it's 48/52% weight distribution with a transaxle and the gear box around the rear axle made it a thing of joy to drive. First sporty car I owned and loved it until I sold it, three years' later. The M3 almost recaptured some of that magic, but the i8 recaptures a lot more of it (and creates some to boot) . Maybe not the quickest, but quick enough with lovely looks and handling; plus something not too common in my neck of the woods.
Appreciate 0