04-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #63
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorAtle View Post
"There’s also a geartrain-protecting half-second delay to the throttle actuation"

What, a half-second throttle lag?? If it's anything like you experience in the i3 at low speed then that alone is a dealbreaker.
It's unclear what he's talking about.

Many of the reviews expressed concern over a throttle delay in 2nd gear corners when acceleration is needed due to software deciding how/where to put the power down.

One other review also mentioned that if one wheel goes off the ground, the car will halt power to stop free spin to prevent damage to the systems. I believe that only refers to the front axle, but am not sure entirely. The press release didn't talk about this function.

In both cases, it was stated that BMW is still tweaking all of this software and will continue to do so even after deliveries begin.

For the early adopters, these quirks will be something to live with and workaround, as BMW continues to improve the software that controls the i8 drivetrain.

In other words, I don't think it's an insurmountable issue that should be a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0