07-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #100
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
We discussed this today and even my colleagues who were in New York were asked the same question.

Especially with potential customers they are a bit too wary of investing in a Tesla because of the unknown quantity. Lots of customers invested in the Fisker Karma and look where that got them. There is concern that some believe that the rug could still be pulled from under them.
BMWi is fully backed by BMW and that alleviates concern that if something should fail.

When we look at our premium competition , we see their idea to initiate electric mobility is to electrify their best selling models which come as petrol and diesel leaving the customer with a choice. The BMW i3 you do not get that choice and for some the individuality will extend its appeal.

When we were on the road to the production of the BMW i3 I made it a point of driving what is out there for customers at this time and this was over the past couple of years. The car that impressed me most out with the Active E and MINI E was the Tesla Model S it embodied the same individuality and focus of the BMW i3 . People will see the i3 as a competitor , perhaps in EV status but as in segment they are both entirely different competitors.

The BMWi3 will find customers , some I spoke to in London are choosing the car as the secondary BMW mainly for driving in London , whilst some are interested in the i3 as the primary BMW.

This is the first production BMW electric vehicle . It does not only symbolise progress but it also lays the starter for real- use evaluations so we can follow on and how to make subsequent versions throughout the cars future generations.
Just curious. Is the BMWi sub-brand strictly for electric and hybrid electric vehicles? Or theoretically could we see a HICE car introduced through BMWi?
Appreciate 0