12-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #70
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I think I've seen you post something similar elsewhere. You went the Porsche route, more power to you (there some things the Cayman does much better than a BMW).

I am not sure that I agree the M2C is the best BMW in this generation, IMO the state of the engine tune stock was not optimal, and I didn't like the lack of positive feedback from the front of the car. I liked the engine tune in the M2CS much better, it's similar (same?) to the M3 ZCP tune, a fairly linear one with a good top end.

But the M3/4 CS map is amazing (and the GTS one maybe even more so). And once you go Stage1 on this engine, it's just about perfect. IMO of course - and I've put my money where my mouth is.

I've owned a "purist-spec" E90 M3 for 6 years (slicktop, non-idrive, 6sp, EDC and 18" wheels) and profoundly loved the experience. Euro delivery, street, track you name it. But now I'm getting on 5+ years with the F80 chassis (split over two cars) and in my personal experience, you could not be further off.

The F generation cars are incredible performers and I would never go back to an E90 M3. Too heavy, too big. Were I to submit to nostalgia, I'd go for an E46 M3, it's a much smaller, nimbler and more fun car, with a very charismatic engine.

Just my take on it.
Don't mention the 'P' word, you will set some people off

Totally appreciate your opinion, I am also someone who put my money where my mouth is (and took a pretty big bath in the process)! The F8x was a big improvement in lots of ways and a marked step up in performance. I don't think lack of positive front end feel was just limited to the M2C, although I have limited miles in F80 M3's by comparison. The tune was definitely neutured on the M2C, it flattens out before 7K. Certainly compared to its contemporaries the F8x was a winner, even just for the ability to spec a manual trans. I just felt it lost something, an intangible 'specialness' which I think ultimately came down to the powerplant and inputs.
Appreciate 0