View Single Post
      11-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #5
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'm sure it will be an unpopular opinion in this thread, but Y'all are crazy spending that amount of coin on the health of an animal. I get needing to throw some money at it, but thousands and thousands? Lots of times, vets are just going to throw darts at an issue and usually high cost to you.

I did spend $1500 to cut the back leg off our prior cat because the feline leukemia vaccine gave him cancer in that leg, but that is all the work we were willing to put in on him. He lived another 4 years before the cancers showed back up and took him out. We also spent $800 on our current cat to figure out her asthma attacks. Vets had no clue, ran all sorts of wasteful tests, lots of speculation on their end, and them wanting more money to run more tests. On a whim, I monitored pollen types and counts vs when she got the attacks. It turned out when nettles pollen counts were high, she had attacks. I started giving her Claritin and no more attacks.

I do think vets prey on people's crazy bonkers love for their animals.
Well I'm not for the $8k we spent on our one, the vet even advised not to since they cost and only a 50/50 it would work, plus a 1-4mth outlook after that. He lived almost a year after thanks to her research and care.

My wife decided she wanted to move forward with the surgery and she never asks for much so we did. Him and her were best friends, that dog loved her till the end of the earth and never questioned anything she asked of him. He was an agility and dock diving dog so they had a pretty tight bond. It's been 2 years since he passed and she still isn't over it.

A few K here and there isn't world ending. We don't have children so it isn't a big deal, if we did I think the situation would be different. I also feel like we have weird luck getting dogs that have unusual personalities, almost human like. One of them we have right now is very odd, everyone says he's like a person and I agree. Our other feels like just a good dog. I know people say those without children usually feel a more human connection to them, but I could be fine without any, so for me to say that is something.
Appreciate 2
Maynard3848.00