View Single Post
      11-09-2023, 09:49 PM   #14
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Huhhhh what? The reason you need to put 10k to fix the 5k hypothetical car is because you bought a 5k car that's worth more. Nothing wrong with that.

If I buy a clapped 335i n54 for example for 5k I'm going to expect to put in at least 5k. That's just how it is. If you get rid of your car the moment you put more than what you paid for it then idk what to tell you, don't buy used cars.
Funny story - my buddy bought a used Nissan Skyline R33 and imported if (obviously) from Japan. Very shortly after, it started to have issues, seemed minor at first, but whatever shop he took it too had a wicked in house ride that they took him on. They showed him that it had crank walk and a whole host of other crap. So he wound up paying...had to be at least half, but probably more than half of what he paid for the car initially just to repair it.

Know what happens after he gets it all fixed up? Takes me out and a few others on some rides and then turns around and sells it. Runs real nice and he sells the thing. At a loss. As in, he basically got around what he imported it for. Out of pocket for all the repairs.

I couldn't believe it. Asked him what he was doing. I told him to keep it for a while at least now that he had it running well, but whatever. He's always sort of hit a loss with almost all of his cars. Except the latest, but that's another story for another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Don’t get a dog or cat is better advice than don’t get attached. If you’re not gonna be attached to the pet, there’s no point in having a pet like a dog or cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
This is true. Your pet is meant to be loved, so yeah, get attached.
I sort of agree with both of you in the sense that you should love them because they certainly love you. And make their life enjoyable too - do stuff for them (walks for dogs, for cats, no fricking clue, guess maybe just stay out of their life and leave some catnip out?).

But I would say its important to not lose perspective and realize that at the end, they are still just an animal. They aren't your son / daughter despite lots of people treating them exactly like that. They aren't human.

So at some point, financially speaking mostly, you pull the plug. That differs for everyone depending on their financial status, so there is no bright line...but I can't fathom spending $10K on my dog. I could afford it, yes. But it doesn't make sense. At that kind of money, he has a very serious issue clearly and it is something that is impacting his quality of life. So most likely, he's gone. Now my wife might have other opinions. And I'm known to cave at times to her. So we'll see. But for now, that's the level I'm at. Different for everyone though...but can't lose perspective that it is at the end just an animal.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43766.00