View Single Post
      02-06-2024, 07:52 AM   #3
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Thank you for the input and sharing your experience. That's my worry - is that the cost of the new engine (even if I'm paying ~50%) will be as much as the car is worth (without all the mods/add-ons). Will, only one way to find out. Dropping her off tomorrow at the dealer to begin the process. I was planning on getting ~$2,500 worth of parts to address maintenance and other issues - guess I'll put that on hold for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravedave View Post
LONG POST
Have just had my 52000 mile 2013 M6 S63tuV8 replaced by BMW as it was using more oil than it should.

Started to use oil about 8 months ago, no smoke at first, went to dealership for oil comsumption test and decided that it needed new head covers, and others bits replaced under warranty. (I had taken BMW extended comp. warr. when I purchased the car from a non bmw dealership). Got car back after about 2 weeks it asked for 1 litre of oil again.

Contacted dealership and they said to top it up but keep an eye on it. It then started to have the dreaded puffs of blue smoke when sitting at lights.
Back to the dealership it went , did compression test and No.8 cylinder was low, bore scope found scoring on same. They went back and forth with technical as they didnt know why bore was scored,that was last October.
They eventually agreed to replace engine rather than rebuild on advice of BMW.

My car was covered by warranty upto the price I had paid per claim,which was just shy of £30,000.

However , as they had already paid out around £6000 for the replacement of head covers/bits before , they deemed that this was still the same claim and would only pay £23,000 toward the new engine which was coming in at £43,000 , leaving me to find £20,000 .

I obviously said I couldnt pay that, a bit of arguing and begging the dealer was able to get goodwill from bmw and they reduced their costs which ended up with me having to pay £9000.
I am willing to do this as, at the end of the day, I will have a car which I was keeping anyhow only now with a 0 mile engine, rest of car is immaculate.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0